Dover School District
Internet Use Agreement
Electronic information research skills are important to future citizens and employees. Access to the Internet allows students to explore thousands of libraries, databases, and various other electronic resources. We feel this information and the skills needed to obtain it are an important part of a student’s education. The Internet will become a tool for life-long learning.
Dover School District will allow supervised Internet access to qualified, registered users for educational purposes only. This resource should not be considered as a primary source of information but rather a supplemental source. The Internet provides access to millions of computers around the world with no central control so students will need to learn to evaluate the quality of information they gather off the Internet. Parents and users should be aware that the Internet may contain themes that are defamatory in nature, inaccurate, or potentially offensive to some people. Before using the Internet each student will sign this agreement along with a parent or guardian and will only then be trained.
A. Illegal activities are strictly forbidden.
B. Be polite. Abusive messages to others are strictly prohibited.
C. Use appropriate language. Do not swear, use vulgarities or any other inappropriate language.
D. Do not reveal your personal address or phone number or those of students and/or colleagues.
E. Note that electronic mail (e-mail) is not guaranteed to be private. People who operate the system have access to all mail. Messages relating to or in support of illegal activities shall be reported to the authorities.
F. Do not use the network in such a way that you would disrupt the use of the network by other users.
G. All communications and information accessible via the network should be assumed to be the district’s private property.
1. Students/users will utilize the Internet for educational purposes only.
2. Students/users will not access, upload or download obscene, sexually explicit, defamatory, or inappropriate material.
3. Students/users will not download any executable computer program.
4. Students/users will not delete any files, or modify the settings of the Internet computer.
5. Students/users must always ask before printing anything from the Internet.
6. Students/users will not violate copyright, or otherwise use another person’s intellectual property without proper citation.
7. Students/users should always be aware of others who may be waiting and should not prevent them from using the computer. Internet access may be limited to 10 minutes if someone is waiting.
VIOLATION OF POLICY AND RULES
All individuals, who violate the policy and procedures for technology of the Public Schools of the Dover School District, whether or not they have signed the Technology Use Agreement, will be subject to disciplinary action and/or legal action. This includes but is not limited to, warning, parental notification, criminal prosecution and/or monetary restitution.